Help your students to gain an understanding of the purpose and importance of the Pledge made by new Australians and the Affirmation said by current citizens or residents. Exploring the Pledge and Affirmations is an excellent way to encourage discussion and deeper thinking about what it means to be Australian.
This activity pack contains the following activities:
• What is a Pledge and What is an Affirmation foldable
• The two versions of the Australian Citizenship Pledge cloze activity
• What is the Australian Citizenship Affirmation?
• The Power of Words – understanding the vocabulary used in the Pledge
• Write your own pledge
• Design your own citizenship certificate
Exploring the Pledge and Affirmation is a great discussion starter and these activities are sure to get students thinking about their role as Australian Citizens and Residents.
An answer key is included to make marking a breeze!
ACHASSK147 – The shared values of Australian citizenship and the formal rights, privileges and responsibilities of Australian citizens.
ACHASSI131 – Use criteria to make decisions and judgements and consider advantages and disadvantages of preferring one decision over others.
ACHASSI133 – Present ideas, findings, viewpoints and conclusions in a range of texts and modes that incorporate source materials, digital and non-digital representations and discipline-specific terms and conventions.