An easy to teach and ready-to-go lesson to help your students understand the importance of having a plan for earning, spending and saving money.
Integrate HASS and Maths with this straightforward but highly engaging lesson.
This resource will help your students explore strategies that can be used when making consumer and financial decisions as outlined in the Australian Curriculum.
After researching and choosing their dream item they’ll brainstorm ways to earn money by doing chores or work at home and calculate how long it will take to save enough money.
There are 3 activities that can be completed within a double lesson or can be separated to be used as homework.
- What Are You Saving For? – Students will research their dream purchase between $200-$500, find an image of it and glue it onto their worksheet in the space provided.
- How Are You Going To Pay For It? – Students will brainstorm chores or activities they can do to earn money, assign a rate for each chore and determine the potential weekly, monthly and annual income from each chore.
- Making It Happen – Students are now ready to set a realistic plan in place and calculating the time it will take to earn enough money to make their dream purchase.
- Were There Any Surprises? – This reflection activity allows students to share reflections on their savings plan and their understanding of how having a savings plan plays a role in making informed financial choices.
And to we’ve included:
- A detailed lesson plan.
Your business and economics lessons don’t have to be as boring as the stock market report! This fun, interactive activity brings economics and business concepts to life so students can make connections with their own real-life experiences developing genuine understanding.
Want to see what you’re getting before you buy? Click here to download the preview.
Australian Curriculum Content? Consider it done!
You can tick off the following Curriculum descriptors!
- ACHASSK121 – explore the strategies that can be used when making consumer and financial decisions
- ACMNA106 – Create simple financial plans
- ACHASSI099 – Examine different viewpoints on actions, events, issues and phenomena in the past and present
- ACHASSI103 – Use criteria to make decisions and judgements and consider the advantages and disadvantages of preferring one decision over others.